Random Thoughts

Whilst I am a huge sucker for organising & planning EVERYTHING, I have learnt to take a more flexible approach when it comes to my kids. From their sleep patterns at birth, we should have already gotten their message to us - they are the boss. Lol!

No parent has successfully FORCED anything into an unwilling child & have it end with everyone happy. Don't get me wrong. I am hard on discipline. Nothing annoys me more than children without boundaries. Afterall, if we don't set the boundaries, how will they ever know how far they can push things? Okay another day & another post on this.

I have been reading up quite abit on classical education & unschooling education. I think I am actually a little bit of both. I love the freedom of the unschooling method. Letting our children take the lead. But the traditional side of me still prefers a little bit of structure. After all if we are to get through the local PSLE examinations, the girls will have to follow some sort of syllabus whether they like it or not. My job is to make it as pleasant & fun as possible.

So if you are here looking for a typical conservative, structured sorta homeschooler, we might disappoint you.

If you are looking for a child led parent, you will also be disappointed.

I am just here to share my experiences & document our journey. Every child learns differently. Every parent does it differently. We are no one to judge each other.

Instead, we are here to learn from each other & to support each other. I have been extremely blessed to have crossed paths with a group of lovely homeschooling moms. Our time together is short but I have learnt so much from them. If you ask me, one of the many secrets to successful homeschooling lies in going about with an open mind & an open heart. Because you never know who you'd meet & who'd unlock the next secret for you. Like they say, a homeschooling mom never stops learning. She learns it all over again with each child she homeschools.

Happy learning everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment